Posts for category: Allergies
Are you struggling with bothersome allergy symptoms? Here at Central Alabama ENT Associates in Montgomery, AL, Dr. Wallace Vaughan, Jr. and Dr. C. Elliott Morga offer state-of-the-art care to diagnose and treat disorders of the ears, nose, throat, head, and neck. Here are 5 such ways to manage your allergies.
1. Take medication: There are several types of allergy drugs available to alleviate your allergy symptoms. These allergy medications include decongestants, antihistamines, and others. Some allergy medications combine a decongestant with an antihistamine. Examples include fexofenadine-pseudoephedrine (Allegra-D) and loratadine-pseudoephedrine (Claritin-D).
2. Get allergy shots: Allergy injections help the human body get used to the substances that trigger allergic reactions. Each allergy injection contains a small amount of the substances that are causing your symptoms. Allergy shots are not a cure, but in time, you may not have allergy symptoms as often.
3. Close the doors and windows: It’s a beautiful day, but if the pollen count is high, keep the doors and windows closed to protect your indoor air. Despite the desire to breathe in fresh air, an open door or window invites a lot of pollen into your house. You can also install a HEPA filter on your HVAC system.
4. Eat a healthy diet: There’s no doubt that a healthy diet is good for the body. In fact, those who eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables have fewer allergy symptoms, due to the natural anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidants present in these foods.
5. Use a nasal rinse: If you are looking for a solution to nasal challenges, a nasal rinse can help. Rinsing your nasal passages with a saline solution is a quick, effective, and inexpensive way to relieve nasal congestion. Nasal rinses clean allergens and irritants from the nose, reducing their impact. You can buy nasal rines at a pharmacy, or you can make your own at home.
Call our Montgomery Office Today
Experience life the way it was meant to be. Call Central Alabama ENT Associates at (334) 277-0484 right now to schedule an appointment in Montgomery, AL. Our allergy treatments can change your life!
- Taking over-the-counter antihistamines and decongestants
- Irrigating your nasal passages with saline and water
- Trying linens and pillowcases that are allergy-proof
- Placing allergy or HEPA filters in your house, especially your bedroom
- Nasal congestion, a runny nose, and watery eyes
- Coughing, wheezing or chest congestion
- A rash, itchy skin or eczema
- An itchy throat, nose or eyes
- Skin tests- during which tiny amounts of different allergens are injected just under your skin; you will know you are allergic to the substance if you see swelling or a rash within 20 minutes.
- Challenge tests- used to diagnose medication and food allergies, during which you inhale or ingest a tiny amount of allergen to test for a reaction
- Blood tests- a sample of your blood is sent to a laboratory where testing is completed
Remember it’s never too early to seek help from an allergist. Your allergist can help you get relief from allergies at any time of the year. Don’t wait! Call today and feel better tomorrow!